Highest tide in 50 years hits historic canal city

A photographer takes pictures in a flooded St. Mark's Square, in Venice, Italy, Tuesday, Nov. 12, 2019. The high tide reached a peak of just over four feet 10:35am while an even higher level of four and a half feet was predicted for later in the day.

One of Italy’s most popular travel destinations is under water after it was hit by the highest tide in 50 years.

Flooding in Venice hit the second-highest levels ever recorded in history, and the historic canal city braces for yet another wave on Wednesday.

Venice’s Mayor Luigi Brugnaro blamed climate change for the “dramatic situation” and called for a speedy completion of a long-delayed project to construct off-shore barriers.

“Now the government must listen,” he said on Twitter. “These are the effects of climate change… the costs will be high.”

According to the Sun,exceptionally high tides that produce major flooding occur every four years. However, the city usually experiences minor flooding about four times a year. 

Brugnaro also tweeted various photos that showed historic tourist attractions under water such as St. Mark’s Square, which was one of the worst hit areas. Photos surfaced of shopkeepers struggling to minimize the damage as water poured into their stores.

A shopkeeper looks out of his shop at a flooded St. Mark's Square on the occasion of a high tide, in Venice, Italy, Tuesday, Nov. 12, 2019.

Brugnaro also noted that St. Mark’s Basilica had suffered major damage from the high levels of water, raising new concerns for the mosaics and other artworks. According to the BBC, this is the sixth time the basilica flooded in 1,200 years with four of those times occurring within the past 20 years.

Photos on social media showed a city ferry, taxi boats and gondolas grounded on walkways flanking canals.

The high-water mark hit 74 inches late Tuesday, meaning more than 85 percent of the city was flooded. The highest level ever recorded was 76 inches during infamous flooding in 1966.

Officials projected a second wave as high as 63 inches at midmorning Wednesday.

One person, a man in his 70s, died on the barrier island of Pellestrina, apparently of electrocution, said Danny Carrella, an official on the island with 3,500 inhabitants. Media outletsreport that a second man was found dead in his home. He said the situation there remained dramatic, with about three feet of water still present due to broken pumps.

Source link

Show More

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button