USA TODAY’s Janna Herron explains the theory behind the FIRE movement – Financial Independence, Retire Early
Question: I recently started investing, and the biggest reason is because I want financial security in retirement. If I want to retire with $1 million in my brokerage account, how much do I need to invest per month now?
Unfortunately, there’s no perfect answer to your question, but by examining two key factors, you can get a good idea of how much you should be investing.
The first factor is the returns you expect your investments to generate over time. I won’t get too deep into an asset allocation discussion here, but I generally suggest that investors should subtract their age from 110 to determine their ideal stock allocation, with the remainder in bonds. For example, I’m 37, so this means roughly 73% of my portfolio should be in stocks, with the other 27% in bond investments.
While returns can vary dramatically from year to year, it’s reasonable to expect an average annual return of about 7% from a properly allocated portfolio over long periods of time.
The second factor is age – both your current age and your planned retirement age. In other words, if you’re 50, you’ll need to be a little more aggressive with how much you save and invest than you would if you’re in your 30s. Here are a few examples that you can use as a guide, based on a 7% expected return and a target retirement age of 65:
- If you’re 25, you need to invest $388 each month to retire with $1,000,000.
- If you’re 30, you need to invest $560 each month.
- If you’re 35, you need to invest $816 each month.
- If you’re 40, you need to invest $1,213 each month.
- If you’re 45, you need to invest $1,857 each month.
Finally, it’s important to keep in mind that $1 million may or may not be enough for you. If you think you’ll need $2 million, for example, you can simply double these figures to determine how much you should be investing. If you think you’ll only need $500,000, cut them in half.
Retirement savings: How much workers across every generation have saved
The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.
The Motley Fool is a USA TODAY content partner offering financial news, analysis and commentary designed to help people take control of their financial lives. Its content is produced independently of USA TODAY.
Offer from the Motley Fool: Offer from The Motley Fool: The 10 best stocks to buy now
Motley Fool co-founders Tom and David Gardner have spent more than a decade beating the market. In fact, the newsletter they run, Motley Fool Stock Advisor, has quadrupled the S&P 500!*
Tom and David just revealed their ten top stock picks for investors to buy right now.
*Stock Advisor returns as of Jan. 31, 2019.
Read or Share this story: https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2019/05/09/ask-a-fool-how-much-do-i-need-to-invest-each-month-to-retire-as-a-millionaire/39440549/