This page is USA TODAY Sports’ “4th & Monday” newsletter. Sign up here to get this delivered to your inbox every week to catch up up on the latest news, the best analysis and more from around the NFL (and any other leagues that might try to form and then fold). Get it here!
The 84th Annual National Football League Player Selection Meeting is in the books.
The fun started at the top, where Kyler Murray made sports history by becoming the first athlete to be selected in the first round of both the NFL and MLB drafts.
While the top of the draft went about as expected, things started to get weird when the Oakland Raiders picked Clemson defensive end Clelin Ferrell, who was projected as a late first-rounder but went No. 4 instead. Two picks later, the New York Giants made a selection that didn’t please their fans, taking Duke quarterback Daniel Jones.
In all, three quarterbacks went in the first round … and then only two were selected during Friday night’s Rounds 2-3. Next year should be a better draft for quarterback talent.
Here’s everything you need to know as we look back at the 2019 NFL draft:
– 32 things we learned from the draft: These are the drafts we liked, those we didn’t and a plethora of other tidbits that we learned along the way.
– Most pressing post-draft issues for each team: With rosters essentially complete after free agency and the draft, the 32 teams turn their attention to getting ready for the upcoming season by answering lingering questions they didn’t address in the draft.
– First round winners and losers: Speaking of the Giants, who had three picks in Round 1. The NFL world is spinning off its axis when the Jets are being lauded and the Giants getting ripped on draft day.
– Nick Bosa sorry for Kaepernick ‘clown’ tweet: The 49ers’ top draft pick said he plans to hold himself to a “higher standard,” but the No. 2 pick needs to prove that’s not just a matter of image repair. The president, meanwhile, stayed on brand and made a point to congratulate Bosa in a tweet.
– Chiefs owner ‘deeply disturbed’ by Tyreek Hill allegations: The wide receiver has been suspended from all team-related activities after audio surfaced Wednesday in which he discusses abusing his son. Unsurprisingly, the Chiefs used their first draft pick on a receiver.
– Josh Rosen posts video congratulating Kyler Murray: As Rosen closed the door on his tenure with Arizona, he thanked the team and the fans and congratulated his replacement.
– D.K. Metcalf gets emotional: The Mississippi wide receiver experienced a draft slide and was very relieved when he was finally selected by the Seahawks. At the combine, Metcalf showed up shirtless to his meeting with the Seattle brass.
– Tom Brady’s heir? The Patriots used a fourth-round pick on a quarterback, making Jarrett Stidham the ninth quarterback Bill Belichick and Co. have taken since Brady quietly arrived in the 2000 draft.
Looking ahead to the 2020 draft
Join the conversation in our NFL Facebook group!
If you love talking football, we have the perfect spot for you. Join The Ruling Off the Field to engage in friendly debate and conversation with fellow football fans and our NFL insiders.
Want to keep this football conversation going? Head to Facebook, and/or give a Twitter follow to your friendly neighborhood USA TODAY Sports football guy who put together this newsletter, @jimreineking.