News

Manhunt underway after four are killed

CLOSE

Three men and a woman were found dead Monday in what police called a “multiple homicide” at a North Dakota property-management business. Mandan, North Dakota’s police chief says someone other than the victims is responsible for the killings. (April 2)
AP, AP

A manhunt and a multiple-homicide investigation were underway Tuesday in North Dakota after the bodies of a business owner and three employees were found at a property-management business in Mandan.

Mandan police Chief Jason Ziegler identified the victims of Monday’s carnage as Robert Fakler, 52, an owner of RJR Maintenance and Management; Bill Cobb, 50; his wife, Lois Cobb, 45; and Robert Fuehrer, 42.

Ziegler said no suspect was in custody and Ziegler revealed no motive. He declined to say how the victims were killed but said no murder weapon was recovered.

“The investigation leads us to believe this incident was specific to the victims,” Ziegler said. “We do not believe the public at large is in any danger.”

Briann Miller, the daughter of Lois Cobb and stepdaughter of William Cobb, said she had been given no details on the tragedy.

“I don’t know how it happened, what it happened with,” she said. “I’m left in the dark still. None of this makes any sense. All I know is my parents are gone.”

The company posted a notice on social media saying it was closed Tuesday: “We are sorry for the inconvenience. We will be spending this time discussing our process to move forward and grieve the great losses.”

The company website says the firm is family owned and has served its clients for more than 20 years. Those services include collecting rent for landlords, paying mortgages, re-renting apartments, building and grounds maintenance, lawn care and snow removal. It also rents out storage units.

A “Meet Our Team” feature on the website pictured 22 employees.

“Four bodies!” said Henry Wilson, 42, who said he rents an apartment from RJR. “Bismarck-Mandan is quite a nice place, and then this happens. It’s sad.”

North Dakota Bureau of Criminal Investigation was providing assistance at the crime scene, Ziegler said. Surveillance videos from the scene and nearby businesses were being viewed by investigators, he said.

A motive for the carnage was not immediately determined, he said.

He expressed condolences to the loved ones of the victims.

“It’s very said that there are people in this world that would do something like what we had to experience,” Ziegler said. “You (don’t) wake up early Monday morning expecting to get this phone call.”

Contributing: Kristin Lam, USA TODAY; The Associated Press

Read or Share this story: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/04/02/north-dakota-murders-manhunt-underway-after-four-killed/3340245002/


Source link

Show More

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button
Close